Monday, April 23, 2007

Friends

I think one of the most frustrating things I've come across is trying to meet up with friends.
The reason it's frustrating is that I want to hang out with them, and see them, but it's just hard to.
I don't think anyone outside of being a pastor, really know how busy a pastor can get in their schedules.
You have people (ignorant ones, might I humbly add) who say, Oh, being a pastor isn't that bad, they only work one day out of the week. (insert groan here.)

I knew I was going to be busy, but I never expected to be this busy.
As soon as one big event is over, we're starting to plan for the next one.
Some times, things get so busy, I lose the sight of God. I always found that ironic, but it happens to many of us quite often.

It's also hard to meet up with people because all my friends have the weekend off, and weekends usually are busier than the rest of the week.
And on Saturdays, I'm reluctant to go out, because I need to just prepare my heart and mind for Sundays.

I'm thankful that I got married before I started full time ministry. I don't know how I'd find the time to date if I weren't.

But you know, I feel as a pastor, I need secular friends. I need friends who are not in the ministry. The friends that I do have in ministry, when we start talking, we start talking about church related things.
Some times, I just need to sit back and complain how the Redskins are screwing things up.

How do other pastors fare in this situation?
Is it because I'm still young that I try to have some life outside of ministry? And I don't mean life outside of ministry meaning that I divulge into debauchery. Although that would be cool... just kidding. I mean just hanging with good friends and not having to discuss what's going on in church. I feel at times I need something like that to keep my sanity.

If it doesn't rain today, I'm going to head out and play basketball with a few of my friends.
I haven't seen any of them for about 2 months now. I'm so paranoid since I've been injured so many times in the past 9 months. Well, 3 times. I went to the ER 3 times in the 9 months. Before that, I've been to the ER 2 in 25 years. If it's even sprinkling, I'm going to have to wait to play basketball. Anyway, I have a long week ahead of me.
Yay.

3 comments:

Andrew Conard said...

Joseph - I think that you are right on with this post. Nicole and I also strive to have a balance between church and life outside of church and it is not an easy thing to do. I think that having a life outside of ministry is critical for people in ministry on any level or with any length of tenure.

I also recognize the need for friends that are not at the church and friends that are non-believers. But I don't have very many at all. Bringing others to hear the good news of Jesus Christ and letting that good news transform their life does not happen very easily if I am just hanging out with church friends.

In any case, this subject is a touchstone for me. Thanks for writing about it and addressing the truth.

Joseph said...

Thanks for the comment.
It's not that i need to have friends who aren't religious. I think most of my friends are at least nominally religious. It's just that i feel i need a friend who is not a pastor nor serves at a church.
I'm glad i'm not the only one. =)

T. J. said...

joseph,
thanks for the post. i currently serve as a youth pastor at a local umc in kansas. i'm a young guy like yourself and definitely understand the frustrations of being too busy to have a "social life" outside of the church. here's my beef with it...i find myself out of touch with the rest of the world being in a church vocation. i become so entrenched in my yearning to serve the people of my congregation that i forget there is a whole other world out there.
i'm married as well and honestly we don't do a whole lot with those who are not a part of our church (or a part of our church for that matter). i guess this is just a long comment to say i feel your pain and i want to encourage you to not get so busy doing church things that you forget the mission.