Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Church Members

So I got a call from my mom today.
There was this church member who has been attending my dad's church for at least 4 years.
The wife was a regular. Her husband, was there quite often. Their youngest kid who is in college comes out to my church's young adult service.

Anyway, they didn't come to church last Sunday, and told my father that they were going to go to a different church.
My father and mother went up to their house just to make sure that everything was OK. Just to make sure that there wasn't any bad blood between members, may be even have them come back after church shopping etc.

They asked why the family was leaving my dad's church. The answer?

The husband didn't like golfing with the men at dad's church. It's not long he didn't get along with them. I just think he didn't like them as golf partners.

!!!!

It made me upset and it made me laugh at the same time.
I mean, is golf partners a legit reason to leave a church?
Perhaps it is, but I just don't see it.

May be you can enlighten me, but I just don't get.

Golf?

7 comments:

DogBlogger said...

I don't get it, either.

I just linked to this post from Methoblog, so hopefully you'll get some discussion on it.

gavin richardson said...

it's in the scriptures

the lord is my caddy, i shall not argue over distances.

he makes me shine in the fairway.

eventhough, i walk through the bunker of shadow of the oak tree. i shall fear no buried lie. your sand wedge is my comfort

you prepare tee times for me before those of my church friends who i don't like. you anoint my ball with blessings as the cup becomes bigger.

surely this is what i was meant to do as the course is the house of the Lord.

.. okay, so that jumped to mind.. honestly, that is petty and someone obviously doesn't get the gospel for whatever reason.

Matt Akins said...

I don't like golf, and usually end up sore after 9 holes, but I've still gone golfing with the men from my church in order to fellowship with them. I can't imagine going to, or leaving, a church because it fit in (or didn't) with my leisure time activities.

doodlebugmom said...

Golf is probably just an excuse. And a lame one at that

Joseph said...

gavin - thanks to you, our church secretary now knows that i don't always do work on the computer. good laugh, though.

matt and doodlebugmom - golf is just an excuse, as it has been stated.

my dad said that the member was probably offended by what one of the men said/did at the golf course concerning the member.

my mom said that the mother always wanted her son to be a sunday school teacher. but there's no room, and to be honest, the kid needs a lot more training and understanding of the gospel before he is in charge of leading a sunday school class. i work closely with him in our bible study at my church, because he comes out regularly for my church's college bible study and college worship.


but golf was the breaking point, i guess.

but we wish them well.

thank you for all your comments.

Anonymous said...

I once had a couple leave the church because I have a beard. No kinding, that's what they told me when I went to talk to them.

I quite trying to figure out people long ago. Sometimes you just have to shake your head, or your sandals and walk away.

Pastor Floyd said...

Could it be that the couple did not know why they really were leaving - but that God used the golf thing to get them where He needed them?

I wonder if we are sometimes too hard on people when they leave. People change, churches change. It is only God who never changes. In leaving the church it is possible that God has something he wants them to accomplish or something he wants to accomplish in them.

Yes, people do leave for the wrong reasons, but we cannot assume that every reaason is wrong - even if it seems strange to us.

Blessings,
Floyd