Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Rules of Engagement

Okay. There are certain public bathroom etiquettes that I as a man follow, but so should every other men in the world.

1. No Talking While Peeing
What I mean by that is, when I'm on the urinal, I don't want to be talking to anyone. Especially if I do not know you. If you have something to say, you can wait a couple of seconds until we are completely out of the bathroom. If you must get it off your chest immediately, then wait a second until we are both done and washing our hands. No talking while peeing. It's just weird.

2. The Every Other Urinal Rule
So if it's just me and you in the bathroom, and there are 3 or more adult urinals, then one urinal should serve as a buffer.
If I'm already on the urinal, and you come in, and it's just me and you, you should not go and use the urinal directly next to me unless A) it's the only other urinal B) the other urinal is a child's urinal. Other than that, if it's just me and you in the bathroom, and there's more than 3 urinals, keep at least one urinal between us. Preferably, I'd want us to be in the opposite ends of the bathroom, but that's not necessary.

3. No Straying of Eyes
Your eyes should only be in 1 of the 3 positions, and there is NO other option.
You should be 1) looking down into YOUR urinal, 2) looking straight into the wall, or 3) looking straight above you.
In no way should your eyes be wandering left to right. There's no reason for it to. If you want to talk to me while peeing, please refer to rule number 1. Just down, straight or straight up. Your eyes should be no where else.

4. For the Love of God, wash your hands!

5. Oh, and flush the toilet/urinal after yourselves! Geez!

I'm sure there is more.
Ah.

this happened to me once
6. No Hand Shaking in the bathroom.
Please do not offer your hand for a shake in the bathroom at any time, ESPECIALLY, before you wash your hands. Actually, no physical contact at all would be preferred in the bathroom. There's no reason for me to hug you or shake your hand in the bathroom. None whatsoever.


That's it for now.
Yes, I don't like public bathrooms.


Care to add anymore?

2 comments:

Andrew Conard said...

So true, my friend. Thank you for naming these.

nure nezumi said...

ditto, let me also add that the severity of the need for these rules intensifies as the number of males per bathroom decreases. for example, in grad school there were exactly me and ken, plus a couple of professors. therefore, there was absolutely no reason for there to EVER be more than one person at a time in the men's restroom in our clinic building. you take a look around and if you see any guy missing then maybe you just waited a couple of minutes for that guy to return and then you go to the restroom. so one day i go to pee (there are only two urinals) and my professor comes in, goes to the urinal right next to me (breaking rule #2), and starts talking (rule #1), then as i'm trying to politely nod and finish peeing very quickly at the same time, he turns to look directly at me and smiles (rule #3). now this guy was a big dope, completely oblivious as a typical prof could be, but nice enough anyway. i'm sure that he was just trying to be friendly, but there's a time and place for friendliness and the restroom while peeing is neither of those things. haha