Saturday, February 17, 2007

Whew

I am tired.
I sprained my ankle pretty severely last December. (I made a trip to the ER because i thought i may have broken something).

So i stopped all physical activities.
Until today.
Today was our flag football day.
I couldn't keep up, and i felt really upset that i couldn't. No matter how old you are, i don't think the competitive spirit ever goes away... well maybe that applies to me. I don't like losing. Especially to my youth kids... well anyone, actually...

anyway, i realized that i'm terribly out of shape. Not to mention the rolls that are forming in my midsection. I used to be fit.. *sigh*

This brings me to the topic of Lent.
I know way too many people that treat Lent as a short term New Years resolution type of deal. Like giving up chocolates or fast food. I'm not saying that's bad, but they don't apply that in being closer to God, or reflecting on the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. And of course, i did that quite often.

Well, this year, i was going to hit the gym faithfully, until i started asking myself, how does that help me spiritually?
And i couldn't really come up with an answer that would satisfy me.

So this Lenten Season, I decided to wake up early and attend Mass at a nearby church. Instead of taking something away, i decided to add something onto my daily routines that will bring me closer to God.
I never attended Mass before, and that was the only morning option i had. I could've gone to our Early Morning Prayer service that my dad's church holds and my current church holds... but the entire thing is in Korean... AND it's at 530 in the morning, whereas Mass is at 8am.
I just need to be tactful and discipline in my Spiritual life, and i figure this was a great way to jump start that.

AND, if i feel up to it, i'll hit the gym after Mass. however, i feel that it's a big "if"...

No comments: